Summary of points/comments/suggests issuing from the 21 Be There Canberra Forum
• Probationary drinking period
• The onset of drinking is a key issues
• Later onset of drinking reduces risk (%wise) of lifelong alcohol issues
• Families: Note that families are very important - Influence/modelling by families - 10 years study showed young people who eat dinner with their parents were 50% less likely to have alcohol and other drug issues (Monica) –Need to look at Stats on non-drinking families - Sometimes families break down. We need to have a safety net.
• Need for campaign like anti-tobacco lobby did - More aggressive ‘demand-reduction’ strategies.
• Incentive based road funding
• ‘Baby boomers’ could be recruited to support MLA21 to reduce health care expenses from alcohol issues